02 January 2013

USB Hub Replacement

Happy 2012 New Year to everyone. Yesterday was not a very good day for me. While working on my circuit board, I accidentally shorted the 24V power to GND on it and spoiled my 7 port USB hub and MSO-28 Oscilloscope. I am not sure how it actually spoiled the USB hub and Oscilloscope, but I think it is something to do with the high voltage and the EMF stuff.


Luckily for the MSO-28 Oscilloscope, I found out that the fuse blew. After replace the fuse, the oscilloscope come back alive.



But my USB Hub was not that lucky. I check its board, and found out that the 3.3V regulator (LM1117-3.3) spoiled, no 3.3V out from that regulator. So, I replace it with LM2940-3.3 (I only have this in my component box), but the USB hub is still dead. I guess the controller IC somehow burned and it is time for a new USB hub. The USB hub had been with me for around 2 years.


Browsing for USB hub, I found this:


It is a 7 port USB hub by D-Link, more information here (http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solutions/connect/usb-hubs/dub-h7-7-port-usb-2-0-hub). I place my order through lelong.com.my, the price is RM86.50 including shipping.

Will update about its performance once I receive the item.

Update 2013 01 05

I received the D-Link USB hub from the seller, everything in the package seems good. D-link got its quality compare to cheap USB hub in the market.




As for the previous spoiled USB hub, I finally found the way to utilize it. I convert it into power distribution for all my USB charging device. In my room, I has an android phone, iphone, broadband modem, and a LED lighting for my small aquarium. So, it is useful that I can eliminate all the charger plug for these devices, and use only 1 modified USB hub for the power distribution. Now on my desk, I has one power distribution hub (on the left), and one USB hub (right).


The inside of the spoiled USB hub before the modification.



I removed all the components on the board. Leave only the USB Ports, Power Port, Power LED & its resistor, and the the 5V Capacitors. Becareful not to short any tracks on it.



Also, I shorted the signal pin on all the USB port D+ and D-. This is to trigger the charge mode in some devices (sort like telling the devices that it is connected to charger, not a computer). I use multimeter to make sure that all the connection is not shorted, 5V not shorted to GND, or any D+ and D-.



Then I glue back the casing, and use it as a power distribution unit. Everything seems to work nicely, the current supply from the previous power supply is good enough for all my devices.


8 comments:

  1. hy..
    Great article!!It will be so useful to me.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Micro USB Speed Charge cable is one such item that should be soon moved from your wish list to your cart for its sheer performance and brilliance. USB Type C Cable

    ReplyDelete
  3. The USB detail gives a 5V (volts) supply on a solitary wire to permit batman flash memory associated USB gadgets and USB Toys to draw control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These barterings may not continue easily or as per the general inclination of the vender and the bidder.bobsweep pethair plus

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is just about 75 hours of technology utilize every week, and I am certain these outcomes are interceded by parental controls and mediations. bobsweep pethair plus reviews

    ReplyDelete
  6. Given this, consumers need to update themselves with information on these new technologies so that they can maximize the benefits they can get from them.bobsweep pethair plus review

    ReplyDelete
  7. This USB stockpiling drive is remarkable for adding stockpiling to or backing up any USB empowered work area or workstation phone. Littler than your hand, see the review

    ReplyDelete
  8. Robert Knechtel is the creator of a number of websites addressing and discussing various aspects of consumer electronics. usb c to hdmi cable

    ReplyDelete